MƒA Master Teacher Fellowship Admissions
Eligibility | Criteria | Process | Interviews
The 2020 MƒA Master Teacher Fellowship Application will open in January.
MƒA Master Teacher Fellowship Eligibility
You must fulfill all four of the following requirements in order to be eligible:
- You work full-time in grades K-12 in a New York City public school.
- You are currently in your fourth year or more teaching mathematics or science.
- You teach mathematics or science for at least 60% of your schedule.
- You have never completed an MƒA Master Teacher Fellowship (If you have, you should apply through the MƒA Master Teacher II+ Fellowship admissions process.)
(Note: Computer Science teachers will only be accepted if they teach at the high school level.)
Early Career Teacher Option Eligibility
As MƒA values the experiences and participation of STEM teachers early in their careers, an Early Career Option is available to teachers looking to apply to an MƒA Fellowship before starting their fourth year of teaching. You may apply to the MƒA Master Teacher Fellowship using the Early Career Option if:
You are currently in your second or third year teaching mathematics or science.
You work full-time in grades K-12 in a New York City public school.
You teach mathematics or science for at least 60% of your schedule.
Elementary School Teacher Eligibility
In addition to the general eligibility requirements, as an elementary school teacher you must also:
- Serve as a science cluster teacher or teacher of record for science.
- Serve as the classroom teacher for mathematics or teach a split program comprised of partial classroom teaching as well as serving as a math coach or math lead.
MƒA Reapplication Policy
There is no limit on how many times you may apply for a fellowship with MƒA. However, you may not apply for any fellowship at MƒA more than twice in a four year period. We encourage you to use this policy when making decisions about when to apply.
Master Teacher Fellowship Admissions Criteria
MƒA seeks applications from teachers who are committed to supporting MƒA’s mission and vision as evidenced through:
Content Knowledge: You need to demonstrate significant exposure to and deep understanding of the subject matter you teach. This typically means having completed coursework beyond the standard introductory course sequence at the undergraduate level and achieving a competitive score on the relevant ETS Praxis Content Knowledge exam.
Pedagogy: You need to demonstrate significant exposure to pedagogical theory and strong pedagogical practice that includes regular, reflective, and professional goal-setting. Successful applicants have typically pursued meaningful professional development in pedagogy, including conferences, summer institutes, and school-based efforts.
Knowledge of Students: You need to provide evidence of a commitment to understanding students as individuals and learners. Evidence of this comes through in thoughtfully constructed lesson design and in the way you build classroom culture cognizant of the lived experience of students’ families, communities, and cultures.
MƒA Master Teacher Fellowship Admissions Process
The MƒA Master Teacher Fellowship admissions process consists of multiple stages:
- Complete a Praxis Exam in your content area
- Submit a written application (via the MƒA website)
- MƒA reviews written applications and grants finalist interviews to select applicants
- MƒA conducts finalist interviews and holistically reviews finalists’ materials
- MƒA issues final fellowship award decisions in late June
|Final Praxis Exam Date||Application Deadline||Interview Notification||Interview Dates||Acceptance Notification||Orientation Dates|
April 19 by 11:59pm
|June 6, 7,
13, or 14
MƒA Master Teacher Fellowship Finalist Interviews
If selected to participate in an MƒA Master Teacher Fellowship finalist interview, you will attend a full-day interview (9:00AM-5:00PM) on one of the dates below. Due to the number of interviews MƒA will conduct, you should reserve all dates in your calendar until you are notified of your official interview date. The interview consists of both group and individual activities that will be detailed upon an invitation to interview.