MƒA Master Teacher Fellowship Admissions
Eligibility | Criteria | Process | Components | Interviews | FAQ
MƒA Master Teacher Fellowship Eligibility
- You teach mathematics or science in grades K-12 in a New York City public school.
- You are currently in your fourth year or more teaching mathematics or science.
- You serve as the mathematics or science teacher of record for at least 60% of your teaching schedule.
- You have never completed an MƒA Master Teacher Fellowship (If you have, you should apply through the MƒA Master Teacher II+ Fellowship admissions process.)
Middle School and High School Teacher Eligibility
In addition to the general eligibility requirements, as a middle school or high school teacher you must also:
- Serve as the mathematics or science teacher of record for at least 60% of your teaching schedule. (Note: Computer Science teachers will only be accepted if they teach at the high school level.)
Elementary School Teacher Eligibility
In addition to the general eligibility requirements, as an elementary school teacher you must also:
- Serve as a science cluster teacher or teacher of record for science.
- Serve as the classroom teacher of record for mathematics or teach a split program comprised of partial classroom teaching (of record) as well as serving as a math coach or math lead.
MƒA Reapplication Policy
There is no limit on how many times you may apply for a fellowship with MƒA. However, you may not apply for any fellowship at MƒA more than twice in a four year period. We encourage you to use this policy when making decisions about when to apply.
Master Teacher Fellowship Admissions Criteria
MƒA seeks applications from teachers who are committed to supporting MƒA’s mission and vision as evidenced through:
Content Knowledge: You need to demonstrate significant exposure to and deep understanding of the subject matter you teach. This typically means having completed coursework beyond the standard introductory course sequence at the undergraduate level and achieving a competitive score on the relevant ETS Praxis Content Knowledge exam.
Pedagogy: You need to demonstrate significant exposure to pedagogical theory and strong pedagogical practice that includes regular, reflective, and professional goal-setting. Successful applicants have typically pursued meaningful professional development in pedagogy, including conferences, summer institutes, and school-based efforts.
Knowledge of Students: You need to provide evidence of a commitment to understanding students as individuals and learners. Evidence of this comes through in thoughtfully constructed lesson design and in the way you build classroom culture cognizant of the lived experience of students’ families, communities, and cultures.
MƒA Master Teacher Fellowship Admissions Process
The MƒA Master Teacher Fellowship admissions process consists of multiple stages that provide an opportunity to reflect on learning, teaching practice, and professional identity. There are 5 stages:
- Complete a Praxis Exam in your content area
- Submit a written application (via the MƒA website)
- MƒA reviews written applications and grants finalist interviews to select applicants
- MƒA conducts finalist interviews and holistically reviews finalists’ materials
- MƒA issues final fellowship award decisions in late June
|Final Praxis Exam Date||Application Deadline||Interview Notification||Interview Dates||Acceptance Notification||Orientation Dates|
|June 1, 2,
8, or 9
|August 6 or
MƒA Master Teacher Fellowship Written Application Components
- Unofficial Academic Transcripts: You will upload scanned copies of unofficial transcripts from any college/university that has conferred you a degree or at which you earned relevant STEM credits.
- Praxis Exam Score: You will submit scores from the appropriate Praxis Exam for your application subject area as part of the application. You must take the exam before the deadline listed on the chart above. Please see the Educational Testing Service (ETS) website for specific exam dates. Note: Elementary School teachers must take the Middle School Praxis Exam for your application subject area, and Middle and High School teachers must take the Content area exams for your application subject area.
- Contact Information for Three References: You will submit the contact information for three references: one reference from a current principal or assistant principal and two references from other colleagues. MƒA will email your references customized forms to complete.
- Writing Exercise: You will complete a 500-word writing exercise based on a prompt provided in the application.
- Pedagogy Exercise: You will complete a pedagogy exercise in which you will design a learning experience for your students.
- Observation Report(s): You will submit either your most recent formal observation (preferred) or your two most recent informal observation reports along with your last formal observation report.
MƒA Master Teacher Fellowship Finalist Interviews
If selected to participate in an MƒA Master Teacher Fellowship finalist interview, you will attend a full-day interview (9:00AM-5:00PM) on one of the dates below. Due to the number of interviews MƒA will conduct, you should reserve all dates in your calendar until you are notified of your official interview date. The interview consists of both group and individual activities that will be detailed upon an invitation to interview.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here to download responses for the most frequently asked questions.