MƒA Early Career Teacher Fellowship Admissions
Eligibility | Criteria | Process | Components | Interviews | FAQ
MƒA Early Career Teacher Fellowship Eligibility
- You teach mathematics or science in grades 6-12 in a New York City public school.
(Note: Computer Science teachers will only be accepted if they teach at the high school level.)
- You are currently in your first through third year teaching mathematics or science.
- You serve as the mathematics or science teacher of record for at least 80% of your teaching schedule.
MƒA Reapplication Policy
There is no limit on how many times you may apply for a fellowship with MƒA. However, you may not apply for any fellowship at MƒA more than twice in a four year period. We encourage you to use this policy when making decisions about when to apply.
MƒA Early Career Teacher Fellowship Admissions Criteria
MƒA seeks applications from teachers who are committed to supporting MƒA’s mission and vision as evidenced through:
Content Knowledge: You need to demonstrate significant exposure to and deep understanding of the subject matter you teach. This typically means having completed coursework beyond the standard introductory course sequence at the undergraduate level and achieving a competitive score on the relevant ETS Praxis Content Knowledge exam.
Pedagogy: Although you may be early in your career, we expect to see that you understand pedagogical theory and practice, reflect on your own teaching process, and set thoughtful goals for your own professional development and pedagogical growth.
Knowledge of Students: You need to demonstrate a commitment to understanding students as individuals and learners. Evidence of this comes through in thoughtfully constructed lesson plans and in the way you build classroom culture cognizant of the lived experience of students, families, communities, and cultures.
MƒA Early Career Teacher Fellowship Admissions Process
The MƒA Early Career Teacher Fellowship admissions process consists of multiple stages that provide an opportunity to reflect on learning, teaching practice, and professional identity. There are 5 stages:
- Complete a Praxis Exam in your content area
- Submit a written application (via the MƒA website)
- MƒA reviews written applications and grants finalist interviews to select applicants
- MƒA conducts finalist interviews and holistically reviews finalists’ materials
- MƒA issues final fellowship award decisions in July
|Application Available||Final Praxis Exam Date||Application Deadline||Interview Notification||Interview Dates||Acceptance Notification|
|January 2019||May 11||May 19||Mid-June||June 27 or 28||Early July|
MƒA Early Career Teacher Fellowship Written Application Components
- Unofficial Academic Transcripts: You will upload scanned copies of unofficial transcripts from any college/university that has conferred you a degree or at which you earned relevant STEM credits.
- Praxis Exam Score: You will submit scores from the appropriate Praxis Exam for your application subject area as part of the application. You must take the exam before the deadline listed on the chart above. Please see the Educational Testing Service (ETS) website for specific exam dates.
- Contact Information for Three References: You will submit the contact information for three references: one reference from a current principal or assistant principal and two references from other colleagues. MƒA will email your references customized forms to complete.
- Writing Exercise: You will complete a 500-word writing exercise based on a prompt provided in the application.
- Pedagogy Exercise: You will complete a pedagogy exercise in which you will design a learning experience for your students.
- Observation Report(s): You will submit either your most recent formal observation (preferred) or your two most recent informal observations.
MƒA Early Career Teacher Fellowship Finalist Interviews
Applicants selected to participate in an MƒA Early Career Teacher Fellowship finalist interview will attend a full-day interview (9:00AM-5:00PM) on one of the dates below. Due to the number of interviews MƒA will conduct, applicants must reserve all dates in their calendars until they are notified of their official interview date. The interview consists of both group and individual activities that will be detailed upon an invitation to interview.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here to download responses for the most frequently asked questions.