Thank you for your interest in the 2016 MƒA Early Career Fellowship, a fellowship for K-12 New York City teachers in the beginning years of their math or science teaching careers.
Please click here and fill out the form to start the application process. Once you have registered, we will contact you about next steps.
Am I eligible?
You are eligible for the MƒA Early Career Fellowship if you:
- Teach mathematics or science in grades K-12 in a New York City public or charter school.
- Have completed at least one year, but no more than three years of teaching by the start of the 2016-2017 school year.
- Spend at least 80 percent of your school schedule teaching secondary mathematics or science OR teach a daily period of elementary mathematics or science. **We consider elementary school as grade K-5.**
MƒA selects Early Career Fellows based on three criteria: Knowledge of Content, Knowledge of Pedagogy, and Knowledge of Students.
- Content Knowledge: Successful applicants demonstrate significant exposure to and understanding of the subject matter they teach. Early Career Fellows have typically completed coursework in their subject beyond the standard introductory course sequence at the undergraduate level and achieved a competitive score on the relevant ETS Praxis Content Knowledge exam.
- Pedagogy: Successful applicants demonstrate some exposure to pedagogical theory and promising pedagogical practice. Early Career Fellows typically have thoughtful goals for their own professional development in pedagogy, including conferences and summer institutes they would like to attend.
- Students: Successful applicants provide evidence of a commitment to understanding students as individuals. Early Career Fellows are typically working to inform their understanding of students’ interests, unique needs, families, communities, and cultures.