Who We Are
Math + Leadership Camp 2015 at UC San Diego
Support MƒA SD
MƒA San Diego 2014 Summer Institute
Who We Are
MƒA San Diego supports highly trained, exemplary math teachers who are dedicated to improving mathematics achievement in secondary schools throughout San Diego County. Founded in 2008 by a consortium of educators concerned about the quality of local mathematics education, MƒA San Diego seeks to attract, train and retain new and experienced teachers who are committed to helping their students understand and appreciate mathematics.
MƒA San Diego’s five-year fellowship is designed to:
- improve the retention rate of mathematics teachers in high-need and urban secondary schools,
- expand teacher content knowledge and improve instructional skills, and
- increase student desire and ability to understand mathematics.
To date, MƒA SD has 23 active fellowship recipients teaching in 18 schools in eight districts throughout the region. MƒA SD alumni include 14 mathematics teachers who have completed the five-year fellowship program. MƒA SD is the recipient of two National Science Foundation Robert Noyce Teaching Scholarship Program awards and is supported by local private funding
MƒA SD is a consortium of three partner universities – California State University San Marcos (CSUSM), San Diego State University (SDSU) and the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) – and five local school districts – Escondido Union High School District, Grossmont Union High School District, Oceanside Unified High School District, San Diego Unified School District and Vista Unified School District.
[Note: We are not accepting applications for either fellowship program in 2015-2016]
MƒA SD New Teacher Fellowship
The MƒA SD New Teacher Fellowship is a five-year program for mathematically accomplished individuals who are new to teaching. Fellowship recipients are comprised of recent college graduates and mid-career professionals committed to teaching math in public, high need secondary schools.
MƒA SD Fellows receive $15,000 per year stipend, individual support, one-on-one mentoring, and job placement assistance. MƒA SD Fellows participate in a range of professional development opportunities during the five-year program, including summer institutes, community service programs, academic year seminars and participation in professional communities at the local, state and national levels.
MƒA SD Master Teaching Fellowship
MƒA SD offers a five year program for mathematics teachers who have been successfully teaching in a high need district in San Diego County. The program includes stipends totaling $50,000 over five years and participation in leadership and professional development programs.
The MƒA SD Master Teaching Fellowship program addresses mathematics professional development, curriculum development and leadership development. All three areas inform the program activities in each of the five years through a three week summer institute, a set of Saturday follow up sessions, and a range of professional development activities at the teachers’ school sites.
MƒA SD also provides customized professional development program for schools and teachers who are interested in learning more about how to help students to think deeply about the mathematics they encounter in middle school and high school. Our work is guided by the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics and the research and experience of Dr. Guershon Harel (UCSD Department of Mathematics). His conceptual framework, DNR, is the lens through which we examine mathematics and the CCSS. Please contact the office for more information about these opportunities.
New- Panel Discussion October 15, 2014: "Demystifying the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics" with Phil Daro (PDF).
^ Back to Top
Conference Presentations - DNR Publications
“Holistic Problems with Pedagogical Commentary” by Drs. Guershon Harel and Laura Stevens, click here.
^ Back to Top
MƒA SD Advisory Board
- Sarah Breech, Teacher and Board Member, The Mara W. Breech Foundation
- Barbara Bry, Chief Operating Officer, Blackbird Ventures
- Brian Keating, Associate Professor, UCSD Physics Department
- Peter Preuss, Founder, The Preuss Foundation
- Patricia Winter, Former Director, BE WiSE (San Diego Science Alliance)
San Diego County School Districts
- Steve Boyle, Superintendent, Escondido Union High School District
- Ralf Swenson, Superintendent, Grossmont Union High School District
- Duane Coleman, Superintendent, Oceanside Unified School District
- Cindy Marten, Superintendent, San Diego Unified School District
- Devin Vodicka, Superintendent, Vista Unified School District
- Katherine Kantardjieff, Dean, CSU San Marcos College of Science and Mathematics
- Stanley Maloy, Dean, SDSU College of Sciences
- Jeffrey Remmel, Associate Dean, UCSD Division of Physical Sciences
- Manuel Vargas, Director, CSU San Marcos School of Education
Support MƒA SD
MƒA San Diego is a not-for-profit 501 (c) (3) organization with tax exempt status. We welcome support in any amount. Donate online now.
If you would like more information on supporting MƒA SD, please contact the Executive Director, Barbara Edwards, at email@example.com or (858) 822-6284.
Donations by mail may be sent to:
MƒA San Diego
P.O. Box 12387
La Jolla, CA 92039
MƒA SD NewsletterClick here
to access the latest MƒA SD newsletter.
^ Back to Top
Barbara Edwards, Executive Director, MƒA SD
Guershon Harel, Professor, UCSD Department of Mathematics
Susan Millen, Program Coordinator, MƒA SD
Ovie Soto, Senior Program Associate, MƒA SD
Send a message